November 13, 2008

The power of the crop....

On days where my scheduled appointment gets rained out, like today, I take the time to kick back (do the other million things I need to do), edit photos (like a madman trying to catch up) and reflect on the art of photography (get distracted, can't concentrate on one project at a time) and how I can improve as a photographer, what my goals are, how to solve the worlds' problems, you know, the basics. Today I started thinking about cropping, and how it can make a picture look completely different depending how you crop it. Why stick with the norm? Example....

Picture of cute baby, really can't go wrong, but look at how it can totally change the "look" of the picture when it is cropped differently.




Big difference, eh? Well, I think so....but maybe only because it's almost midnight and I've been editing for 4 hours....So next time you take a picture (and edit it like I'm sure you all do), be daring, step outside your comfort zone and crop your picture abnormally. You might be pleasantly surprised....but you don't have to take MY word for it (Reading Rainbow, anyone? anyone?)

4 comments:

~R~ said...

I havent laughed this hard at one of your posts in a while... Lavar Burton- I think only people from the age of 25-30 will get that, "Don't take my word for it"...

I like the pictures where you just show the legs of the parents and the baby sitting at their feet. Cropping changes the mood and energy of the picture entirely!

You're an incredible artist and you keep amazing us all.

Next post please! ;)

xoxo-
Rebekah

Brittney said...

Great input...changing the point of view changes everything!!! you are a crack up :) We missed you in Jons class- maybe ill see ya in one in the future.

Rychelle said...

ahhhhhhh......the memories!

you really have a great eye. i'm addicted to your blog!!!

Libby said...

So cool. As I stated before, it could be a really cool statement to have 2-5 pictures blown up on one wall all of the same photo with the different crops. Hmmm. I'm excited!