September 28, 2010

Tuesday Tip


Let's talk lenses...

In my first Tuesday Tip post Kim asked:  


I would love to know what lense you use in what situations. How often are you changing them? 


So here goes...


My all time favorite go-to lens is my 85mm 1.2 lens.  I love it and I'll tell you why...You know that deliciously creamy "bokeh" (blur) behind my subjects?  That is all due to this incredible lens (not Photoshop).  It's a great portrait lens and gives a nice dreamy feel to pictures.  I also use it for large groups of people - but I do have to stand far away from them and they probably think I'm crazy (ha ha ha)....I use this lens 85% of the time.


I also love my 24-70mm 2.8 lens.  I like to use it around 35mm for a wide angle look.  It's great to give a picture of fun, distorted look.  I'll usually use this lens when I'm taking more candid fun kid/family/sibling shots.


I usually switch my lenses several times during a shoot.  It is a simple way to completely change the look/feel of a picture.  


Here are a couple examples of how a lens can change the look of a picture....these pictures were taken in the same area.





Notice:  Dreamy feel, compressed tree, lots of blur





Notice:  Trees appear further apart, less blur, more distorted look

6 comments:

Lflinders said...

Wow! what a difference you get by changing a lens. I prefer the 85mm. Love that picture

Machen said...

I really like both pictures! Great job Vero.

Kim said...

Thanks for answering my question. I already have a 24-70mm lense, but maybe I am going to have to put the 85mm on my list of what to get next.

Chelsi said...

I am loving your Tuesday Tips! I have a question. You have the most perfect white balance in every picture. What is your secret?

Erin said...

I have the 85 too and it is my fave! If you use it for your group are you just keeping your aperture at F8 or around there? Just wondering. . .I've never used mine on a group!

Jill T said...

Beautiful, as always. Just curious, what's your f-stop on those 2 examples?